Re: [TenTec] Looks like company is fading away

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looks like company is fading away
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:15:16 -0600
In the past year I have bought a new Argonaut VI and a new Omni VII. I am very happy with both radios. I would not consider any of the Orions because they do not cover my favorite band, 6 meters.

The Argo VI was used a lot during the ARRL Centennial, and with the WRTC. It is now waiting for spring when I will be using it as the IF for my 2 meter setup, once I get my feedline problems fixed.

The Omni VII is a very nice radio, and I am really enjoying it while on the learning curve. I have also worked some new countries with it. It is a worthy successor to my Corsair II, which I am keeping as a backup.

I have a Centaur amp, but have not used it much due to my living in a very tightly packed subdivision. I don't need the RFI headaches from running that much power. I have learned to make plenty of contacts, even with only 10 watts, and that has added to the fun this past year.

Ten Tec is doing fine, despite a really lousy economy. I am hoping that they will continue to produce their outstanding products for many more years. I will be helping them with this by making purchases as my finances permit. Their merger with Alpha will likely be a help in keeping them open. And, they seem to still be responsive to inquiries, and also fixing older products despite the problems in sourcing needed parts.

73,

Steve WA9JML