[TenTec] EV638 update for Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] EV638 update for Orion
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:30:39 -0400
I have an Orion 1 and an Electrovoice 638 Hi-Z microphone that dates to
the original Heathkit "twins."  The Heathkits are long gone, but I still
have the EV638 because I like the looks. I have been politely told that my
audio is not great; it is better with the handheld mic that was part of
the Corsair 1 package.

I am considering updating the EV638 with a newer cartridge. Heil sells a
"retro" HC5.1 cartridge that might be appropriate. It is Lo-Z, which I
assume would make the Orion happier.

Questions: After getting the EV638 apart (a real challenge) I see that the
cartridge is fitted to a steel holder that is magnetically attached to the
core of the internal transformer. This seems a little odd. Can anyone
explain what is happening here?

Seeing the internal transformer makes me wonder if I can change the
existing cartridge to Lo-Z simply by bypassing the transformer? This might
not solve other problems, but it might help.

Lastly, has anyone updated an EV638 in a similar way?

Thanks,

Bill  W2WO