Re: [TenTec] THANK YOU AND APOLOGY

To: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] THANK YOU AND APOLOGY
From: "n5bi" <n5bi@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:52:27 -0400
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:26 PM

Yo Jim,

I think we all need to give each other
a bit more grace? Especially on complex
topics such as currently under review.

We all makes mistakes, you made one this
weekend with your post on the E brand
forum as to saying that someone needed
to be fired over a schematic? True?

Yet a bit later, after some time of slowing
down and studying the schematic, you found
that you have made the errors in your reading
of the data presented?

Another person helped you with your questions
and tried gently to suggest that your conclusion
was not quite 100%. You noted such a bit later.

James is on that forum, yet I don't recall
him calling you out for it as you should
have known better? Grace is good ...

Sadly, it seems too many on here, have long
forgotten what it was like when you and I
were first getting started in this hobby?

And that not everyone has or will be able to
go to school on this topic. That's not a
requirement, to be a open learner is.

Nor do I think James considers himself an
instant expert. Look at his background, it
does tend to require a high level of facts.

Some of my best students at the university
level, by the end of the term, were the ones
who struggled the most when the class started.

Should I have treated them as you guys are
doing to James? I would hope not. None of
us, including me are perfect really.

Folks learn in different ways, some have to
"get it" via a way that may not be how you
or I learn or present best. Grace is good ...

James, as well as many others, have asked me
questions too off the forum. Some I fear do
that as they don't want to be jumped on by
posts such as yours or similar recent comments
on here by a couple of others.

Let's help them learn please, but don't beat
them down in the process.

We ALL have bias about things, you do too as
an engineer, and in other topics too. Below
you are suggesting we should not value the
data from the person because he is not a contester?

One of the parties, who sadly has acted rather
ugly from the posts of yesterday, has made
repeated anti-contest postings, should we also
discount anything he says? Grace is good ...

One role of a teacher is to stay with the
student, as long as they are making an effort
to learn? James is doing his part.

Shouldn't we strive to do our part? If he has
something not quite correct, why not try and
help rather than judge him as others are doing?

By his professional training, he is trained
to secure evidence and see if it supports, or
if it does not support the statement.

No evidence presented, the conclusion can be
there is no truth. If I needed legal advice,
that is exactly the background I would expect.

How is that any different from every engineering
team that I have been part of where the unspoken
is always ... "Trust but verify"?

He asked for the evidence. Interesting, and also
very sad, to see how you and a couple others
responded in that regard. That is how we end of with
the dreaded "ham lore" of "Well, we all know that"

I really believe James has read, and re-read every
reference that others, including you have suggested.

From the questions I get back from him after suggesting
a reference, that tells me his does read and learn.

Thanks for providing him in this post with some
simple definitions of the terms that have been
tossed about. Yes, It is a very complex topic.

Even Rick made an error in his post on band pass
filters this morning, but I  will let him re-read
it first and make any needed correction.

Thanks for the Q in the recent RTTY NAQP and hope to
work you again in the August CW and SSB sessions.

73 de Billy, AA4NU