Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:26:46 +0200
James, we're not quite in sync here.

You are speculating on what Yaesu will do (and I don't mean that negatively)
and I am talking about what two specific magazine testers told me.  One long
ago, the other more recently.  I'm not speculating on what they said; both
were speaking clear English to me.

Obviously they don't "know" what Yaesu will do.  I'm not sure even Yaesu
knows that.

I also said just a couple years ago I was told that again but I won't give
details because this time the OM is not an SK.
He writes a lot of articles.  I don't want to cause him any trouble.

The bottom line is, I understand why they are afraid of losing advertising
$$$, and why they are careful what they write, but when a radio does not
meet FCC IMD specs on some bands, they need to either tell us, or tell the
manufacturer and hold off publishing the article until that important flaw
is fixed.  Otherwise they are doing us an injustice.  We buy the radios
thinking everything is hunky-dory.

OK on the OM7.  I don't recall its IMD but I do know I compared the Eagle's
IMD measurements to those of the Kenwood TS-590 and the 590 was better.  But
Ten-Tec has never had a really bad transmitter.
If you want to see bad, look at the FT-450D.

Here's the trouble with the 450D:
..- Its 3rd order product is 12 dB worse than the 32S-3.
..- It's 5th order is 16dB worse.
..- It's 7th order is 24dB worse.
..- It's 9th order is 29dB worse!
Guys, this is terrible!

If someone puts a linear behind one of these, he'll splatter up and down the
band.
We call him a lid and blame it on him.
It's Yaesu's fault, AND his fault for not finding out about the radio before
buying it,

AND IT'S ALSO THE MAGAZINE'S FAULT IF THEY TESTED THIS RADIO AND DID NOT
REPORT IT.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)