Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions
From: Lee <ny6p01@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:14:37 -0700
On Apr 23, 2014 10:28 PM, "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de> wrote:

> Lee,
>
> I think it is impossible for anyone to predict what is going to happen
when
> using an indoor antenna.
> I don't expect the Jupiter to work better than the Kenwood in combating
> those specific problems, but the Jupiter is a fine radio.
>
> You have three problems you're fighting:
>
> 1) Very weak "wanted signal" compared to when using an outdoor antenna
> 2) The garbage being picked up by the antenna inside the house from
consumer
> products
> 3) Common Mode Current (CMC) from the antenna radiating into its own coax
> line, which is what is making the transceiver go crazy.
>
> There is no silver bullet for #1.  By far and away the best thing I have
> ever used indoors is a magnetic loop antenna.  I have even used one out of
> the basement of a hotel and still worked all over Europe with it

Do you think a mag loop would have any gain over the hamstick dipole I use
now?

I feel I actually put out a halfway decent signal. The problems is hearing
anything over that clamor.

I've heard about some receiving antennas in a loop configuration that
actually do very well and are quite small; however they require a decent
preamp.

(BTW - I'm
> in Europe, so that was not DX).  If you can, run a nearly invisible wire
out
> into the yard to a tree.  You can use thin copper enamel wire. Then remove
> it during the day.  This will outperform anything you do indoors.
>
> The magnetic loop will also help a little with #2.  For one thing you can
> rotate it, and sometimes that can help to reduce the level of disturbance
> from the consumer products, thus dropping your noise level a few S-Units.
>
> For #3 you definitely should buy or even better, build a good quality RF
> Choke and insert it in the coax line directly at the transceiver.  Most
> people couldn't be bothered with taking the time to learn about good RF
> Chokes, and thus think any old thing they buy is going to be good.
 Indeed,
> any old thing will help but in tough cases, you need a good choke, not
just
> any old choke.
>
> TWO KINDS of RF CHOKES:  There is the Maxwell (W2DU) and the Guanella.
 MOST

http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-32/balun-designs-baluns-1-cln-1/Deta
> il
> ($65)
>
> UNFORTUNATELY I cannot guarantee that any of these will make a significant
> difference to the RX noise - there's a good chance they will help, but no
> guarantees.
> But they should fix the problem with the transmitter going crazy above
40w.

> Good luck, Lee!
>
> 73 - Rick, DJ0IP
> (Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

Many thanks Rick. This is very useful to me, and I may implement one or
more of them as occassion requires.