Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 19:52:09 -0400
Pshaw - Rick... your argument proves too much: If your club needs to standardize on just one radio to avoid operator error, maybe it needs better operators! ;-) ;-) ;-) Ha!

Besides, it would be easier to standardize on the Eagle than the K3, which is more complicated to operate. I think there is an aura surrounding the K3 that transcends it true value.

Moreover, what sort of "operator error" are you worried about? The guys in MY club can set up and run any radio, and most do well enough using default settings. I can read the user manual on the flight to the site. If you really take two years to plan the deal, you should have plenty of time to learn how to work more than one radio.

But, if ease of operation is paramount, both the Eagle and Omni VII are easier to learn and use than the K3, and the Eagle gives up nothing in size, weight, and performance to the K3 - and costs about $1500 less!

But wait... there's more!

You cannot fairly blame the gang in Sevierville for why the Eagle is not a popular travel rig. That decision is made elsewhere, and for various reasons - UNLESS the K3 is popular because Elecraft subsidizes the venture by providing free or super low-rent gear - which hardly makes it the better radio.

You portray these DX-peditions as more difficult than they must be. I have run remote special event stations - which is similar to working a DX-pedition, but you don't travel as far, and besides the greater complexities in making travel and shipping arrangements, the operation is similar - you sit and run thousands of contacts each hour because THE WHOLE WORLD IS CALLING YOU! It is kinda like fishing at the hatchery. I make way more contacts working a remote special event station, than at home.

I suspect success is more dependent on factors excluding the radio, such as antenna selection, site selection, propagation, advance publicity, and etc., and perhaps it depends as much on money and endurance, than operator skill!

BOTTOM LINE -- IF I SPEND $50,000 to go ON A DX-PEDITION - I TAKE ANY DING DANG RADIO I WANT. PERIOD. After all... if its MY money, then it is my choice, and I would take and Omni VII or Eagle long before I would take a K3 on such a venture (unless Elecraft made me an offer I could not refuse!) Why spend $1000 to $1500 more than necessary on a travel rig?

Just MY TAKE - if guys don't take the Eagle on DX-peditions, it is their mistake and their loss.