Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:02:51 -0500
Thanks Rick... having just viewed Sherwood's Dayton presentation again, I was not aware they were in production again. You are, of course, quite correct $17,000 or more for a transceiver just ain't worth it. I mean, really, will I actually have $14,000 more fun with it? Will I really make more DX contacts with it? What will those few contacts cost me if I amortize the cost by their number? Wow... that is a staggering thought. ;-)

As for the TS-990... well... I guess I am not that impressed with IT, although I know you only mentioned it to make the point about relative value.

Frankly, I don't believe it does all that much MORE than my current stable. Sherwood notes its reciprocal noise thing is equal or worse than its TS-590-based sub receiver. After the 990 was released, I purchased an Orion II, because it seemed (to me) a much better value.

Besides, I would not like my new $8000 transceiver with super high definition display screen, to LOOK LIKE A 1960s VINTAGE SW Radio SLIDE RULE DIAL! Sheesh! The General Coverage receiver has a screen that looks like an old Realistic DX-160 or Trio tube set from the 60s - hardly what I consider the look of a modern digital marvel. I suppose they figure it will appeal to the "older set" who may still have a little money left in their retirement accounts and who are nostalgic for the "good old days" of analog radios ... but that does NOT appeal to ME ! Ten-Tec... are you listening... don't do this! I am not that nostalgic for an era I did not experience !! ;-) (No offense intended...)

Happy trails.