Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with Ten Tecrigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with Ten Tecrigs
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:05:22 -0500
My experience using the Omni VII on AM parallels Bob's story.

I have used the Omni VII to check into a long standing group of AM hams who mostly live in and around Chicago, and they say my Omni VII sounds great. I generally use a headset (AtudioTechnica BPHS-1 or a Shure SM-2) with no EQ on transmit or receive. Bass roll-off is about 225 Hz -- exactly the same as what I run on SSB and they say I sound really good.

I also follow Bob's technique of tuning in SSB, but I tune at a bit lower power than he states, and simply switch to AM when it is my turn, and that is it, nothing more. It is a lot of fun because these are some of the most courteous hams I have ever met on the air.

I follow Bob's technique... as he was one of the few hams who did not blow me off when I was a really new ham and needed a less technical explanation of how to use the amp properly. Good teachers can explain stuff on many levels. But I won't say more, lest he blush.