Re: [TenTec] 425 Titan vacuum relay

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425 Titan vacuum relay
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:26:42 -0800
Ten Tec was using two very different vacuum relays in the days when they built 425s and Herc IIs. One is a Jennings RJ1A-26S, the other a Kilova (don't recall the number). They are physically very different, and require a different circuit board. Both types are made by Gigavac, which is what Alpha currently uses. They are perfectly interchangeable, and I've been using the Gigavac relays for at least five years. I do a lot of CW contesting, and they hold up quite well. Make sure you get the right voltage -- the 425 uses a 26 VDC coil. There's also a 12V version. MaxGain Systems sells both Jennings and Gigavac. The Gigavac number for the RJ1A is GH1.

http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/vacuum-relays-SPDT.htm

It takes a bit more than an hour to change the relay. It's located right behind the output SO-239 connector on a circuit board.

73, Jim K9YC