Re: [TenTec] OT: Looking for good starter HF transceiver

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Looking for good starter HF transceiver
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:56:51 -0400
For someone just getting into the hobby, I'd recommend a
"jack-of-all-trades" transceiver until he knows more about how his
interests will develop.  To me, at the stated price point, this means
a Kenwood TS-430/440/450 or an an Icom 735/740/745.  A brand new
Alinco DX-SR8T almost fits the budget, but I've not seen one.

Later, when he runs into the limitations of that first radio for his
particular interests as they develop, he will be in a better position
to know which of the more specialized radios will suit his developing
needs (and, hopefully, budget).

I concur about buying one's first radio from a reliable dealer with a
warranty, unless one is an experienced RF tech.

Best regards,

Charles