Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:25:10 -0600

On 2/12/2011 11:26 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> I did get a quote from Omeg. Their part with the closest match would
> have been 220k with a reverse log taper, the correct size spindle bush,
> a genuine 1/4" spindle (not 6mm) and the correct length.
>
> They quoted £5.25 + 20% VAT each. Minimum order quantity of 10, then
> postage of £6.00 + 20% VAT.
>
> That would total over £70, and the pin spacing and length would still be
> wrong! So I'm sticking with the new linear pot I put in this morning.
>
> I doubt the Omeg part would have had quite the same taper as the
> original, anyway. Their normal log taper appears to be the simple
> "Commercial" taper comprising two linear sections of different gradient
> with a single break point; I guess their reverse log would be the same.

Probably achieved by laying down two different widths of resistive
material, or two different thicknesses, though that might leave a
perceptable edge about the middle of rotation.

> Just when I thought the projects had stopped, my cousin asked me to look
> over a Hallicrafters SX28 which he just bought on eBay. It's no hardship
> - those glowing dials, the smell, and the sound of that push-pull 6V6
> output stage are just magic :)

Watch out for electrolytics in odd places, like maybe a bias supply
created by a resistor in the plate winding centertap of the power
transfromer.

> 73,
> Steve G3TXQ

And if you run a single tone long enough you can get the screens of the
6V6 to incandescent temperature which is probably not good for their
logevity.

Good to know the linear pot is a practical solution for the original.

73, Jerry, K0CQ