Re: [TenTec] Any hope for TenTec Scout module?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any hope for TenTec Scout module?
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:42:26 -0500
Daniel:

Is there enough lead on the crystal to get on it with a test clip?  You
want to find out the frequency of it, or maybe Ten Tec will give you the
spec, (series or parallel resonant).  One way of telling the frequency
is to find out the frequency of suck out of a signal from a variable
oscillator applied to the crystal.   Then a Crystal company can make you
a replacement.  Perhaps Ten Tec might have a crystal in old stock.  It
may be some time before I can measure my 20m module, due to prior
schedule committments out of town, but the crystal is basically removed
from the 20 meter band by the IF frequency.  I don't remember off hand
if it is high side injection or low side, ie above or below the band.
Perhaps another Scout owner may know and comment, please.  The crystal
would be the IF plus the crystal to equal the 20m band or the crystal
minus the IF to equal a 20m band frequency.  If the crystal lead did not
break off flush with the case, the wire can be spliced carefully, with
low heat soldering, done quickly.

You might call a crystal company, and see what it would cost for them to
unsolder the crystal case and remount the crystal with a new header and
leads.  International Crystal has for years been the go to place for
custom crystal work.

Most hams would not sell a module without the radio, so it is doubtful
you would find a spare 20m module now.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH