Re: [TenTec] Well how is everyone liking those new Ten Tec headsets ?

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Well how is everyone liking those new Ten Tec headsets ?
From: "Speer, Doug" <Doug.Speer@FairbanksMorse.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:55:22 -0500
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:41:30 -0400
From: "John Molenda" <brazos@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: [TenTec] So......
To: "TEN TEC DISCUSSION" <tentec@contesting.com>

Well how is everyone liking those new Ten Tec headsets ?  Any reports ?  thanks
John kb2huk

I have had my head DX Pro model 777 headset for several weeks now.  Audio is
much better than the cheapy ___Mart headphones I had been using.  Audio is
crisp and clear on both cw and ssb.  The 22 ohm/channel impedance matches the
OII nicely and I get good volume at low audio gain settings as compared to my
previous low 8 ohm phones.  My SSB operations are quite limited but the QSOs
(mostly DX) I have worked have reported good audio and I have been successful
in getting through with marginal conditions.  My only complaint is the clamping
force on my head.  The Ten-Tec product description states:  "The 777's clean,
light-weight design has an easy-to-adjust fit and can be worn for long periods
without fatigue".   I take issue with this statement.  I find the clamp on my
head to be quite fatiguing and cannot imagine wearing them for extend periods
demanded by contesting.

One oddity with my 777 headset.  Right / Left with the 777 is pre-determined by
virtue of the boom mic position (assuming you want to have the mic in front of
your head vs. the back of your head).  My Orion II Right Channel audio comes
out of the Left earphone and the Left Channel comes out of the Right earphone.
This is not really a problem due to the flexibility of the audio menu on the
Orion II.  I like having the main receiver in my left ear and sub receiver in
my right ear which can be accommodated simply through the audio menu.

Doug, W9PN
----------Legal Disclaimer----------

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential,
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  No other person is
authorized to access, copy or re-use this message (or any information contained
herein).  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.