Re: [TenTec] Jupiter and 33 foot vertical.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter and 33 foot vertical.
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 09:11:04 -1000
     A 33 foot vertical is not a particularly good choice of length for
use on multiple bands. End fed it will have a very high impedance on 20
meters.If you can make it longer it will be an easier match on 20 meters
for whatever tuner you use. I used to use a 40 foot vertical with a
Kenwood TS-50 and AT-50. It worked well for all bands 80 through 15
meters. I used 40 foot length because the MS-44 mast sections are five
feet long. Fourty Three feet might be a nicer length, since that is
5/8ths wavelength on 20 meters. I fed the vertical directly with coax,
and had the AT-50 on the operating table. A remote tuner at the feed
point would have been better. There is no particular reason to make the
antenna self resonant on any band, especially when you are using a
remote tuner at the feed point. The notion that resonant antennas
radiate better is a ham myth. You may be able to keep the SWR on the
feed line low on a band or two by picking a resonant length, which can
reduce losses in the transmission line. The losses should be pretty low
anyway, and if you are using a remote tuner at the feed point you can
forget about that.  There is a good reason to to avoid making an end fed
antenna a multiple of 1/2 wavelength long on a band you would like your
tuner to be able to match it on.

     What I said about resonance not being important does not apply to
parasitic elements in an array.

DE N6KB