[TenTec] 220 Mhz - Serious Market Opportunity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 220 Mhz - Serious Market Opportunity
From: "Hamilton Hicks" <ham306@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 19:41:39 -0400
Yes, there is a marketing opportunity, and it's starting here in North
Carolina. A system of repeaters is almost finished that will allow hospitals
(CARES) to talk to one another during emergencies. It will span from the Myrtle
Beach, SC area to  Virginia. When hurricanes threaten, cell service is
effectively useless because of overload. As you get away from the metropolitan
areas, downed phone lines can become a real issue. Therefore, operators in the
various hospitals can be guaranteed a communications capability. For more
specific info on the current system and follow-on installations, one should
contact Danny Hampton, K4ITL, in Raleigh.

Alinco has a superb 220 mhz, single band FM rig that has experienced a sales
spike as a result of the efforts. I forsee FM as being the introduction to SSB
and/or CW work. I invite you to read the "World Above 50 Mhz" article in the
March 2007 issue of QST. Very informative.

However, I'd much prefer to brag about a Ten-Tec 220 rig!

Hamilton Hicks
KB4BR