Re: [TenTec] Bazooka antenna.. More than you wanted to know!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bazooka antenna.. More than you wanted to know!
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:08:35 -0600
On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 04:19 -0700, Jim WA9YSD wrote:
> I do not have any type of computer modeling program.  So for give me
> and for some of these questions.

When I did my antenna, I based it on 14 gauge wire and used calculator,
table of dipole impedances, and Smith chart.

> What is the outer diameter, what is the internal diameter of the
> enter conductor, and the spacing of the uhf/vhf  Bazooka antenna
> in the original tests?

The earliest Bazooka data I saw (about 1960) used RG-58 for the antenna
and standard 300 ohm TV twin lead (about half inch spaced wires) for the
ends.

> What is the diameter  of the uhf/vhf
>  Bazooka antenna in the computer model?  What is the specs
> for an HF DB say 3.5 MHZ Bazooka antenna in the computer model?
> If tubing was use what compensation did the computer model make
> for 1/2 inch coax cable and perhaps using RG6?  Asking the same
> questions for the Double Bazooka what happens?
>
> Lets take this a step further.  What is the spacing  of the uhf/vhf
> Folded dipole antenna in the original tests?  What is the diameter
> of the UHF/VHF Folded Dipole of the tube on one side of that FD
> dipole?  What is the diameter of one side of an HF FD say on 3.5 MHZ
> antenna  in the computer model?  Now, using 12 gauge wire on both
> halves and spaced 18 inches apart can these parameters be put into
> the computer modeling and what happens to it?

The available method of moments programs (mininec and NEC and those
based on them) do not handle bends and closely spaced wires well. They
will give answers but very slight changes in dimensions, frequency, or
segmentation can show large changes in the alleged answers.

> Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD

73, Jerry, K0CQ