Re: [TenTec] New hams (doesn't matter what generation)

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New hams (doesn't matter what generation)
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:17:12 +0300
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 07:52:58PM -1000, Ken Brown wrote:
> I don't care what kind of key, keyer, keyboard or other device is used,
> it is absolutely untrue that for any generation of ham a 500 Hz filter
> is necessary to receive CW. For an inexperienced ham a 500 Hz filter is
> more likely to be an impediment than an aid.

What filter would you say is needed? 15kHz? 2.8kHz? 1kHz?

Bear in mind that the radio is being targeted at hams with NO CW skills,
and probably no desire to learn it or pay for it. I did not say it
should not be an extra cost option. What I said is that to keep the cost
low and make the rig more attractive, IMHO, it should only have the
minimum features they would want and be willing to pay for.

Five dollars in parts adds $25 to $50 to the retail price, so any filter
adds to price.

Just look what has been sold in the past. In the U.S. you have not
needed to know Morse code to get a ham license since 1991. Since then
millions of 2m and 2m/70cm FM radios have been sold. How many have
been sold with CW?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM