Re: [TenTec] Hooking up Omni VII to a network now

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hooking up Omni VII to a network now
From: John Graves <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:58:29 -0400
Mike,

Yes, you can use the wired interface but you will have to configure a different address on the same network (192.168.1.x) I would recommend for now that when you use the wireless you disable the wireless and disable the wired (unplug it) when you are using the wireless.

By now you should be able to use the OMNI anywhere in the house. So you want to access it from outside the house. That's a different story. One Plug uses another packet type called UDP and it uses a port (subdivision sort of) of 49152.

See my attached on networking if you have questions. What has to happen is that you want to let your connection come thorough but block most. The Linksys has to be configured so when it sees a UDP packet using Port 49152, it will pull the destination address (your public address,) and replace it with the private address of the OMNI. Then it can connect and you are working the world. This is called reverse NAT and there should be a configuration page for this in the Linksys.

Regards,
John Graves
WA1JG
jh.graves@verizon.net

Mike Bryce wrote:
John and the gang..

You almost have it correct... the end goal is to be able to work the omni VII from my QTH while I am at a hotel in Moab UT. I now know I can talk to it with a cross over cable and one computer directly.

Now, next step is to get it to talk to another computer on my network----then---- onto the WWW!

So the omni VII needs to be able to see the WWW when this is all done

I'll get a Ethernet switch from best buys

I take it the switch is transparent to the network? I.E. I don't need to tell the Omni VII the IP address of the switch? Do switches have IP address??

you said. "If your computer has a wireless card and you are configured for it, try
to connect to the OMNI.  If not, plug your computer (again with a
straight through cable) into the switch and try to connect.  There is
not any reason that it will not work."

my computer in the shack does in fact have a wireless card that is on the network. Now, can I take a regular ethernet cable, plug that into the computer with the wireless card (I will be plugging it into the ethernet port and not the wireless thingiee) and then "see" the omni VII?

What about the computer upstairs in the office? It's on a cat line to the wireless access point router. Will I be able to see the omni VII? Will i have to change the IP address (GPgateway) in the omni VII each time I fire up different computer?

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Let's take this a step at a time.  Switches are network neutral, and this
includes the switch in your Linksys router.  Most basic switches do not have
their own address. They just connect addresses on the same network.  For what
we do, the network is defined by the first 3 groups in the IP address. So
192.168.1.x  is the network and the x represents a specific address sitting on
that network.

Because of this a router is needed to link different networks.  It will allow
something on the 192.168.1.x to something on the 10.0.0.x (another private
network.)  The other thing a router can do is connect a private address to a
public address.  So your address can find yahoo.com (actually 66.94.234.13.)
It does this by using a process called NAT.  What happens is that it removes
your private address from the packet and replaces it with the public address on
the public side of the router. It also maintains a table so when an answer
comes back to it, it knows how to forward to the device that sent it.