Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:43:34 +0300
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:12:00PM -0500, Lyle Dunlap wrote:

> New generation of hams are like the new married couples.  They want to start
> out with everything, complete with white picket fence and new car in the
> garage.

My point exactly, but written from the what can Ten-Tec do about it
point of view.

Ten years ago, my landlord saw my bug on a table and said "the Internet
made that all obsolete". This is in a country that had only had private
access to the Internet for less than two years.

The new generation of people see things differently than we do, and
they are willing to spend money. Most of the people I know have limited
budgets for hobbies, so $200-$300 is about as far as they would go.

For that money you will not find a used rig that can be plugged in,
connected to a wire antenna and used. Bear in mind their entire
"ham radio experience" if they have been on the air at all has been
2m FM.

I figure we have two choices, tell them how good they have it,
and why they should make do with 20 year old radios that don't
work the way they think, or sell them something they understand
and want. You're welcome to do what you want, I prefer to try the
later.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM