Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability
From: Larry DiGioia <o2@longwire.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:07:32 -0500
OK, I brought this up before, and was specifically told that "low RF
gain and high AF gain," as is traditional in analog radios, does not
apply to the O2.

Personally, I like to leave the RF gain at 100, then use the AGC
threshold as my RF gain, and then touch it up with the attenuator.

Dennis OConnor wrote:
> I'm beginning to feel like a broken record on this subject...
>   Turn the AGC off... Turn off the NB, etc... Get rid of all the 'cover up'
> processing crap as it only adds distortion to the mix...
>   Go to the 300 cycle roofing filter...
>   Turn the RF gain down until you don't hear anything...
>   Turn the audio gain relatively high - lots of hiss...
>   Now advance the RF gain until you hear signals...
>   Ride the RF gain as your audio gain...
>   You should be able to separate the signals in the pile...
>
>   Now, there will be times when the DX is so mixed with other signals,
> buckshot, amp slop, white noise, and qrn, that you cannot copy them..  This
> is not solvable with todays technology - but I find the O2 to far exceed the
> 1000D, MKV, Omni, etc. in this high noise environment so for the moment it is
> the best answer..
>

> denny / k8do

Larry  N8KU

 l o n g w i r e . c o m