Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuner 238

To: "Tony Dangelo" <tony@ammocomp.com>,"tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuner 238
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:45:35 -0800
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:26:20 -0500, Tony Dangelo wrote:

>Am I missing something?

The 229 and 238 (essentially the same tuner in a different color
case and with their dial cords wound in the opposite directions) are
really excellent tuners, and can be tuned to match almost any
reasonable antenna. Sometimes, if the antenna is far from 50 ohms
resistive, it can take a while to find the match. And if it's TOO
far from 50 ohms, you may not be able to match it. I've had this
happen when the antenna is a half wave vertical on 80 or 160, which
is a VERY high impedance.

TenTec supplies a capacitor that you can connect between two
terminals on the back panel to extend the tuning range of the tuner
on 80 and 160. That solves the problem I described above.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC