Re: [TenTec] What is this rig?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What is this rig?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:57:20 -0600
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 19:41 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:34:20PM -0500, JT Croteau wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 2008 12:32 PM,  <waltk8cv4612amos@att.net> wrote:
> > > It's a perfect example of why you have to be VERY careful what you bid on
> >
> > Heh. Precisely.  I just had no clue what it was. :-)
>
> That leads to an interesting question, is it so rare that what he is
> asking is worth it for the condition it is obviously in to a collector,
> or are you likely to call the Civil Air Patrol office and ask if they
> have one and be shown a store room full of them, being too good to
> throw out, and of no current use?
>
> Geoff.

The big problem in CAP radios today is that they are required to meet
new standards for selectivity and frequency accuracy. Those standards
also apply to MARS. Most ham rigs don't inherently meet the standards
which are intended to remove the need for any operator skill for things
like interference rejection and getting on frequency. And today, I
believe CAP operations use more frequencies to take advantage of or get
away from propagation. There is a list of accepted radios somewhere on
the CAP web pages.

73, Jerry, K0CQ