Re: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:59:44 -0400
Well Ken,

Remember that I have past experience with both the 500 & 250 Hz CW filters
in a Corsair, so I'm somewhat used to them both.

Granted, the 500 Hz filter saw the most use.  I found the 250 very useful,
though, under a handful of particular situations.  Two that come to mind
off-hand:

(1)  Rare DX or a DXpedition sending CW who is getting interefered with.  If
the QRM wasn't zero beat (and often it's not quite) that filter was enough,
sometimes along with some gentle nudging of the PBT and such, to pull the
signal clearly out of the muck.

(2)  In major CW contests, especialy CQ WPX CW, when my old call was a
semi-rare enough prefix to be a minor advantage, the 250 Hz filter would
help me separate signals under crowded band conditions.  Especially on 40 &
80 CW.

Now I should add that in the past, I've used external filters (on other
rigs) to perform the some of the same functions.  (Somewhere I still have
that old external MFJ filter!  But my external DSP filter on the TS-140S
does a better job these days)  I've found a setting of 350 Hz (+/- 50) is
narrow-er enough than the 500 Hz filter, yet wider enough than the 250 Hz,
to serve my purposes.  If I could find a compatible 350 Hz filter at a
reasonable price, I'd try and get it.  But unless I did something like
custom order one, or get a bare board and try and get the crystals to roll
my own, it's not going to happen.

And I will admit that one of the reasons I'd like the filter is just to make
the rig "complete."  It has everything else (OK, the Corsair PS & Remote VFO
don't quite cosmetically match a Corsair II, but electrically they're
identical, so I can live with that!), so it would be nice to "finish the
job."

It's not something I must have today.  I can afford to be patient until the
right one comes along.  Soon enough, I'll find one!

73, ron w3wn