Re: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:47:28 -0500
Jeff,
        I have sometimes had the same experience.  It seems to me that when
you use a very narrow filter in noisy conditions, and assuming the filter is
not ringing, making things worse, what you end up hearing is a narrow band
of frequencies with your intended signal mixed in there somewhere.  Even
though it's no stronger against the noise when the passband is wider,  your
ear has an easier time picking out that single frequency when everything
else around it doesn't sound like almost the same frequency.
        By the way, there is one TT (Network Science) filter that I have
noticed in the Omni VI/+, as others have on the reflector, that is like a
miracle in noise, and that's the 6.3 MHz 250 Hz CW filter.  Wow, the job it
would do to help pull a signal out of the noise really surprised me.  Most
other company's narrow filters ring like crazy, but the TT ladder filters
really got it right.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas