Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...

To: <waltk8cv4612amos@att.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:05:52 -0500
No, I don't think you are foolish.  Burn in should accelerate any other
immediate damage.

Logic boards in my experience are pretty good fuses for lightning surges.
The analog circuits should then have been protected.

When they are in there, they should have carefully looked for any smokey
areas, and discolored component bodies, and any board trace damage from high
current or voltages.

You can repeat that visual inspection with low power magnification, when you
receive it back.  Maybe try it awhile, before you file a claim for
replacement.  Insurance companies typically don't give you much for
sentimental value!

I remember modems we used to smoke in the lab's computer room, (row upon row
of dial up modems.)  One would take the hit and we would blow a 1488 or
1489, and everything else would test out fine, and keep on playing.  I would
give the rig some leeway for its historic value.  It certainly has had its
technical merit tested by man and nature!

73,
Stuart
K5KVH