Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 23:52:04 -0400
When I want to decide on wire size where voltage drop matters, I simply look
up the resistivity of the wire I am specifically using, calculate the
voltage drop for the length I contemplate using and the current I expect to
draw, and decide if the resulting voltage drop will be acceptable or not.
As someone here said, at low voltage, a relatively small drop in voltage can
be a big deal.  And as someone else said, swinging voltages can have an
effect on the linearity ( and thus the sound ) of your signal.

I use pure copper wire (well, its almost entirely pure ) and use the soft,
flexible stranded type, for ease of use.  Soldering the connections
(Assuming you solder well) and making a nice neat pigtail seem to work the
best.

Regards, Gary
AA2IZ