Re: [TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 11:25:05 -0500
Buck (K4IA) said:
" Very tinny, very low fidelity with a tendency to add a  click at the end.
That is what 2.062a sidetone sounds
like to me. "

"On my radio, the raspy CW is particularly bad with Fast AGC and  narrow
bandwidths (<1khz).  It is starting to sound like the DSP in an  ICOM 756Prox."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am hearing similar "distortion" on both weaker CW signals and on the CW
sidetone note. Although the sidetone note is much better then it was in the
previous release, it still has a very annoying noise at the end of each element
- particularly identifiable when you slow down the code to 3 or 4 words per
minute. At higher speeds is just sounds like a "repetitive noise." In my case
the sound gets worse as the audio gain is increased - I can raise the signal
audio with an external audio amp without raising the level of the noise. If I
raise the audio level of the Orion the noise signal comes way up. I worked with
Ten-Tec but they could not duplicate the problem. They offered that I could
send the Orion in to be worked on, but I just went back to V1.373b5 - which has
no such sound on the keying sidetone.

The CW distortion is worse on weak signals - maybe correlated with maximum gain
in the DSP/IF chain. Again I really don't hear that distortion/fuzziness on
V1.373b5. I sure would like to get on to the new V2 firmware - and a lot of
progress seems to have been made - but this audio distortion is really
distracting when you work something like the WPX for several hours.  I'm back
at V1.373b5 and hoping Ten-Tec will keep working on the V2 code.
73, Merle - W0EWM