Re: [TenTec] A USB to Serial converter that works and comes in afour up

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A USB to Serial converter that works and comes in afour up version too
From: "John B. Egger" <john_egger@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 22:13:14 +0000
Jerry Volpe wrote:

>_Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter (Model USA-49WLC)
><http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5395>
>
>_Lots of inexpensive USB to serial adapters are available and most of
>them work for general purpose serial communications. Trouble is lots of
>times we are asking our Serial port to actually work as a 'switch'
>activating a PTT or Key line, etc. Most of the USB to serial adapters
>out there won't work in these applications. Keyspan greats a great
>product. Works on Macintosh, Windows and Linux. They have the typical
>single USB to serial as well as a single USB to four serial ports. They
>may even have a two port version (don't recall). The keyspan devices are
>not as cheap as some of the import ones but you will never have to worry
>if they will do the job.
>
>73,
>Jerry, KG6TT
>__

My new Dell laptop has only USB ports, so I bought a Keyspan port
replicator that has a serial port, a parallel port, and two more USB ports.

I was able to get my old HP printer working through the Keyspan parallel
port, but not the (even older) IBM scanner. More significantly for this
group, I was not able to get Linux's Xlog to communicate with the Orion
II through the serial port. (This might be a Hamlib issue.) I just
couldn't find a way to specify the proper port.

--John K3GHH
Registered Linux User #291592