Re: [TenTec] Orion II AGC Questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II AGC Questions
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:27:31 -0600
A little background might be of help here,

In the Orion, with the earlier firmware, we would set up some standard agc settings for agc slow, medium and fast, then use the AGC prog for manuall adjusting the agc threshold, that was before the S meter would rise with the adjustemnts and when the articles appeard for using the threshold.

However, many of the orion users would have trouble with this and have a hard time in the heat of a contest, even if you know the agc well.

The RF Gain tie in to the AGC along with the S meter adjustment made the process easier, however in my opinion, lost some of the finer control on low bands. Good thing is, I can move to the firmware of choice for the task at hand.

I've found that adjusting the AGC Threshold works very well when chaseing low band DX. For contesting, it's too much trouble to twiddle the control so the RF gain method is a good alternative.

Best wishes.
Rich
K5SF