[TenTec] interesting eHam review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] interesting eHam review
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:52:29 +0000
eHam 7800 review with an interesting take on the Orion and 7800....

rob / k5uj

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2006 12:33
Superb (with a caveat) Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I kept my mouth shut during a recent divorce and received a windfall that afforded me this rig and a PW-1 Amplifier. I replaced an Orion and Titan III station - so I do have something that is also "the cats meow" to compare to.

I moved from a 5 acre antenna farm to a .33 acre wooded lot. I decided to get rid of the tuner and go with SteppIR BigIR vertical and a 2 element SteppIR Yagi on a Force-12 LPT-1242 crank up - all painted green and very much hidden in the redwoods.

Anyway back to the rig. I wanted 6M and the built in RTTY / PSK encoder / decoder and 200 watts (I used a Mark V and wire antennas with 200 watts or less to get 8BDXCC and 291 all time new one's - so only use an amp when I absolutely must). I started out as a die hard QRP-er way back when - oh well . .

The 7800 and PW-1 combo, along with the SteppIR antennas are the most fun station I have ever assembled. Bar none.

But, I must admit - the 7800's receiver is no better than the Orion (original Orion), in fact, I am quite sure that the Orion is a better receiver. This isn't a lab test - just the ears of a DX-er at 308 entities looking for new one's - the really rare ones where everyone and his kid brother and screaming for.

If I didn't care about RTTYand 6M and 200W I would have purchased the Orion II - that is THE best rig for the money at any price point!

But I have fallen in love with RTTY and love using 200 watts again - and the amp very little to work "all time new one's".

If you want value for the money - seriously look at the Orion II and Titan III. Or maybe wait until the 7800 starts selling on the used market.

But while I feel a little foolish - I must admit, I am having the time of my life with this station.