Re: [TenTec] "The Bug" a/k/a Orion II Audio

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "The Bug" a/k/a Orion II Audio
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:11:23 -0400
On 4/7/06, Ron Castro <ronc@sonic.net> wrote:

>        * Audio problem that was apparently caused by a change in the DSP
> from a filter method to the "Weaver Phase Difference" method.

I was interested in that remark about the "Weaver Phase Difference" method.
How do we know what algorithms are in use in the Orion?  I think Bill W4ZV
made reference to this a while back. [I'm not familiar with this technique
-- does it intrinsically have more trouble delivering hi fi results for a
given CPU power?]

I for one would really appreciate it if TT would make it their business to
let us know what is going on in the Orion signal processing.  (Leaving aside
control code for the time being.)  It has never really been done, even for
the V1 code -- Doug Smith's writings are good, but don't quite the document
the Orion as built, especially as the firmware evolves.  Not having this
info is like not publishing even the block diagram (let alone the schematic)
of a conventional rig.  The technical user community rightly expects more.

If TT has a resource problem, this is an area where community talent could
provide value to the company and to users.  A small group or an individual
could be "blessed" to be a community tech resource, with reasonable access
and contractual (but no/cost) arrangements.  I expect there would be a
number of qualified volunteers.

As a suggestion of what could be, take a look att the FlexRadio reflector,
where there is more light and less heat compared to this forum.  Technical
questions get authoritative answers all the time, and that's a large part of
what is needed here.

73 Martin AA6E
--
martin.ewing@gmail.com - AA6E@arrl.net
President, Yale University Amateur Radio Club - W1YU