Re: [TenTec] The Bug

To: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Bug
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:10:55 -0700
I have determined that there is a distortion problem with some of the O2's
effecting the audio quality.  Like yours, mine is excellent, but I have
heard at least two O2's on the air that were tested in a variety of
situations including different microphones, antennas, amps, power levels,
grounding schemes, etc., and the audio problem was still there.  One unit
with a similar problem was sent back to TT more than a month ago and was
still there as of the week before last.

My website, www.ronc.users.sonic.net documents a  6 dB loss in response at
100 Hz from the factory spec.  The rest of the audio spectrum looks fine and
with fairly low distortion.  The low-end loss can't be fixed with the
internal equalizer without making the lower mid-range to strong, but an
external  graphic or parametric EQ can do the job.

There is nothing wrong with Heil mics, it's probably a coincidence because
there are so many out there.

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC