Re: [TenTec] Corsair Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair Questions
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:32:27 -0800
Hi Kip -

Good to hear you on WSN yesterday.  Check the archives (and maybe QRZ
reviews?) as these questions have been answered many, many times on
this list.

Overall (having had 2 Corsairs and 3 Corsair II's) I'd say that the
basic receiver performance is the same, the Corsair II a bit more
refined with features (a useful AF bandwidth filter and a keyer in the
II).  They are fine for digging out weaker signals in QRM (easily as
good as many newer radios, better than some).  Easy to service.  If I
didn't find an estate sale OMNI VI in my price range, I'd still have
the Corsair.  The only complaints I had were (1) a bit of drift in VFO
that is fixable and there exists aftermarket fix kits for it,  and (2)
AF "hiss" from the audio amp that was right in the range of my hearing
(but most other Corsair owners have no problem with that, easily
handled with proper speaker or simple AF filter.)  Very, very good
radios.  Get at least one IF CW filter.  That should do it.  See you on
7040.  Email me personally if you would like more of my memories on
these rigs.

Clark
WA3JPG