Re: [TenTec] Orion1 sidetone vs RX

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion1 sidetone vs RX
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:28:01 -0600
Ken,
        There was a discussion of this when the Orion first came out.
The solution a number of us are using is to send the Main RX to both
ears, and the SubRX to the right ear.  This keeps the sidetone in both
ears, and still allows you to distinguish the QSX frequency in the left.
It also has the advantage of providing you better audio (both ears) to
pull the DX station out of the soup if his signal is marginal.  It
doesn't solve the problem of your sidetone overriding the DX station - I
usually readjust the sidetone so that it's loud enough to hear but
doesn't drown out the DX station.
        For what it's worth.

        73, Duane

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:26:57 -0600 Ken Adams K5KA <k5ka@earthlink.net>
writes:
> I recently became the owner of a very nice Orion 1 and have
> spent the last week learning how to drive.  I have tested with
> the version 2 beta software but 1.372 is preferable at this stage.
> My question concerns CW sidetone using headphones.  When the
> rig is defined for:
>
> Main RX in left
> sub RX in right
> xmit VFO is sub rx
>
> the xmitted CW sidetone is only heard in the left ear of the
> headphones,
> but I would like the sidetone to follow the xmit VFO.  At the least,
> I would
> like the sidetone to be heard in both ears.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Ken K5KA

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas