Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 706 Microphone

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 706 Microphone
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:01:19 EST
Hi Reed,

Following your suggestion, I took off the bottom plate and see that the
ground connection between it and the chassis is OK (through a lockwasher lug at
one
of the mounting screws).  However, the upper portion of the 706 stand, which
houses the circuitry, is unshielded plastic, so there's no mystery about how
RF can get into it!

The station, including the Argonaut V, is well grounded, but my 80/160 meter
antenna is an end-fed 130-foot wire so a certain amount of RF in the shack is
inevitable when using it.  About 2 feet of the antenna is inside the shack,
running from the outside wall to the antenna tuner.  There's no RF when using
the 10-40 meter antenna, a Hy-Gain AV-640 over 100 feet from the shack and fed
with buried coax.

I'll be on the lookout for some small ferrite beads that I can put on the
connecting wires inside the mike stand.  Anybody got some?

73,

Ray W2RS