[TenTec] Radios suitable for mobile operation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Radios suitable for mobile operation
From: "Pete Juliano" <jessystems@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:42:47 -0700
Hi Ten Tec Users,

I have been doing a little research on radios that might fill a role in a
mobile operating environment. In looking over the various resources it becomes
clear all the radios seem to have a problem. I note that even the venerable IC
706 has problems on certain frequencies. Since this will be for occassional
use, I do not require something with a lot of bells and whistles.

That choice really becomes very narrow. I have had both an Argosy II and a
Scout. I never used these mobile but both of those rigs had limitations. I
think the Scout likes to see more than 13 volts and of course the well known CW
problem. Both had the noise blanker option and I must admit the Scout seemed to
do a pretty fair job on local noise albeit not in an automobile. So the
question: Those of you that run mobile and considering these two rigs which
would be better between the two. Secondly based on that selection am I kidding
myself that hardly any radio works in the mobile environment. The intended home
will be a Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for any help --Glad also to see the heat has cooled down on the Orion
II. I do have a Triton IV but it is too big for the Jeep.

Pete W6JFR