Re: [TenTec] Orion's Woes

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion's Woes
From: "Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:41:47 -0000
From: "Lee Crocker" <w9oy@yahoo.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 17:56
Subject: [TenTec] Orion's Woes

> I just don't get it.  The Orion II as far as I can
> tell just addresses a couple of hardware design flaws,
> and adds a color screen.
>
> None of the serious test measurements done on the
> Orion use the cascade filter board, one of the design
> flaws addressed in the Orion II.  It is basically a
> feature that no one uses and no one is the worse for
> wear becuase they don't use it.  Probably the new
> roofing filters could be added to the present Orion.
> You would not have as many filter choices, but you may
> be able to obtain nearly the same ultimate dynamic
> range, which in the end game is what its all about
> anyway.  With a little add on engineering and a few
> changes in the firmware you could probably make the
> Orion have as many filter choices as the new radio.
>
> The second issue is the "Mixing architecture".  I
> still don't know what this means, but my Orion seems
> to mix fine.  It mixed me a dry Martini just last
> night, shaken not stirred with an onion, and a nice
> frothy half caf latte earlier this morning.
>
> Third is the issue of latency on the RS232 line, which
> is something I wish could be improved on my Orion.
> I'm not sure I'm willing to spend a kilobuck to have
> my N4PY software behave a little less sluggishly when
> I'm spinning the knob with gusto.  It is very mildly
> annoying and certainly no show stopper.
>
> I ran a TS-530 at field day, and it remined me very
> well of just how far we have come regarding things
> like tuning rates and linearity and stability in
> tuning.  I remember the old Swan radio.

I started with a Swan 260 as a novice in 1980.  Then a TS820 with was easy
to 'improve, by a few component changes e.e. detector diodes.  Then an OMNI
V, actually decent.  SO the Orion is heaven and I welcome Rigel and
Betelgeuse every time I turn it on.

Hard to see what color would do for me.  I had a caract removed in Feb, so I
can see screen pretty well - don't need eye candy.

  Turn it on