Re: [TenTec] SSB recieve audio?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SSB recieve audio?
From: Barry Gross <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:38:46 +0000
pure conjecture on my part - only one of the two oscillators (either
USB or LSB) should effect cw, and the effect would probably be to
shift the cw offset/sidetone, but I don't honestly know.  I no longer
own the Omni VI, and don't even have access to the owner's manual.

As I've said in the past, the Omni VI was not designed to deliver full
fidelity ssb rx audio so folks probably shouldn't fiddle with it an
attempt to get there.  However, the detector is not the bandwith
limiting factor - if the carrier oscillators are adjusted and passive
components optimized, ultimately it's the notch filter and dsp ic's in
the audio signal path that are throttling the fidelity.  That's my
story, and I'm stickin' to it.  I did my homework a few years back -
tapped the Omni VI product detector audio off U3-6 on the if/af board
through a 1uF capacitor tack soldered to the pin, and brought the
signal out in a shielded cable for external audio amplification and
ended up with bandwith limited only by the xtal filter.

73,
Barry N1EU