Re: [TenTec] Tricks for tuning weak signals? Omni6(opt3)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tricks for tuning weak signals? Omni6(opt3)
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:30:06 -1000
Hi Tom,

I also have an Omni VI and I love it. I also use only CW. I usually keep the LP audio filter set at 1000 Hz. Sometimes I tune around using the 1.8 kHz 2nd IF filter with the NAR (500 Hz in my case) 1st IF filter in and sometimes with it out. Then when I find a signal I want to focus on, I will switch to the 500 Hz 2nd IF filter and if the NAR 1st IF was not already in I switch it in. If the necessary the next thing I do is use the 250 Hz 2nd IF filter. I t seems that with some kinds of noise conditions switching from the 500 Hz to the 250 Hz filter does not make an improvement, and in other conditions it does. When using the NAR 1st IF filter in conjunction with either the 500 Hz or 250 Hz 2nd IF filters you need to get the PBT adjusted to make the 1st and 2nd IF bandpasses coincident with each other. Otherwise when you go to the narrow (500 Hz or 250 Hz) 2nd IF filter the signal will be greatly attenuated. You could lose it altogether. I generally make sure I have the PBT set up this way before I go tuning around. I find a BC carrier or other stable frequency signal to check my PBT setting. Another thing I check is that I am only using as much NB as is necessary to notice the QRN drop off slightly. Only after I am getting all I can from the filters do I turn on the DSP. I have never noticed any improvement in readability by reducing the RF gain or turning off the AGC, EXCEPT while using the DSP. When using the DSP turning the RF gain down a little makes a slight improvement.

DE N6KB

tom stewart wrote:

I am having a great time with this radio(Omni6) but as
much as I experiment and try to develop better
techniques, I wonder what better/veteran opperators
are doing to tune in weak signals.
Any suggestions and methods will be much appreciated. Oh, I only use CW mode. Thanks
Tom N7LMY