[TenTec] Emergency power followup eu3000is

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Emergency power followup eu3000is
From: "Ben K8DIT" <benk8dit@callatg.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:34:10 -0800
It's been a little over a month since my inquiry about standby
power/inverter type generators. Yesterday I took the plunge and last night I
had the computer w/monitor, TR7/PS7, some lighting and a few low power
accessories on the load side for four and a half hours. Approx. load was
500Watts. Gasoline usage was under a gallon. The generator ran on its
economy setting for the entire test period. I keyed the TR7 full power out
150W output on CW and the Honda EU3000 came out of its slow setting only
slightly only for the duration of the keydown. Trying this on the dummy load
sending some cw characters would jog the generator out of its low rpm
setting briefly when characters were sent. No engine racing or wildly
unstable rise/fall were experienced. The generator ran so quietly that when
I went outside and walked around the house, the generator was undetectable
at about 25 feet away in a fairly quiet suburban setting. I used the radio
the entire evening in my usual way on 75 and 160 meters w/o any
birdies/hash, etc.
There is no 240V available on this generator so no amp.