[TenTec] Anyone notice this?

To: Ten-Tec <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Anyone notice this?
From: "James C. Owen, III" <k4cgy_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Guys,
   Even us longtime Ten-Tec guys learn something once in a while.
I have had a Jupiter for over two years now and love it. I have
used a Motorola mobile speaker on it and others rigs as I think
that it sounds great, has a balanced sound Bass to Treble is
small and of course cheap. During this time I have found the NR
not to be very good, added a lot of digital distortion and mostly
made things hard to copy. In the last two weeks I found a Ten-Tec
speaker made for the Jupiter and put it in line. The voice
quality dropped a couple of octaves and I instantly said it's
much too bassy, I can't live with this. But I have continued to
use it and have come to the conclusion that it has better
communications quality (easier to copy under QRM) than the
Motorola and I have gotten use to the sound. The really
surprising thing is the the NR now works as I would expect. Not
much digital mud and really brings QSO's out of the noise. The
point is that I can now leave the NR on almost all the time where
before I usually had to leave it off most of the time. The
conclusion I have come to is that the speaker MATTERS in the
proper operation of some parameters. Has anyone else observed
this?
73 Jim K4CGY