Re: [TenTec] TT terminated vee antenna

To: "ron" <roncasa@verizon.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT terminated vee antenna
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:04:23 -0500
Ron,
I would just make my own sloping Vee antenna.  This terminated vee will only
give you one direction in the direction of the slope.  If you do not
terminate a true vee beam, it is bidirectional, thus you can rotate 180
degrees instantly.

The commercial terminated vee, only works as a vee beam on the higher bands
where the legs are at least 2 waves long.  Below that it is like an inverted
Vee, but with directionality with the termination.

If you make your own, you can put it on a rotating guy ring on a mast and
walk it around to differing directions as your DX tastes change.  You can
use 14 ga. to 12 ga house wire cheaply since as a sloper it does not have to
withstand much pull.  Feed it with ladder line for multibanding, and with a
tuner.  Then you do not have the cost and loss of the balun.

We used large vee beams very low to ground for Field Days for our club for
several years 1996 to 1999.   When the legs are 10 waves to 5 waves, they
are narrow but high gain antennas.  We finally went to large loops to have
more directions to work.

GL and 73,
Stuart
K5KVH