[TenTec] Re: honda eu3000

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: honda eu3000
From: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 06:46:57 GMT
I use two of the eu2000i in the CQWWSSB when my hilltop power source was lost for a while. I got two of the smaller ones as that is about all of the weight I wanted to carry around. I have a 15A 120-240 autotransformer so put it in a tool box. Mounded a 220 plug on the side, ran two 110 cords out through feedthrus, slipped three ferrite cores on each. A bit of a dangerous setup as if one comes loose while the other is running it is hot. Looking at the schematic I looks like if you use Honda's interconnect, all power goes thru one of the circuit breakers and you are limited.

Ten Tec and AL1200 ran the whole contest without difficult from the car seat. You can't use the power save feature as the SSB load and the generator sensing circuits are always out of sync.

I bought a couple of extra caps, took them apart and added brass tubing and plastic tubing to go to 5 gallon cans. sucked out the fuel and never needed to shut down to refill.

Noise: I was working 20 M and up. No noise there. 40M has some hash. 80 and 160 are out of the question. I did hear that one of the antarctic expeditions used them on 160 without difficulty.

Anyway, my input is that for the higher bands, the Orion and Honda are OK and the Honda is a joy for working around where there is no power source. Quiet, light, and starts first pull everytime.

N0UU