[TenTec] RE: DIgital Signal Processing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: DIgital Signal Processing
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:12:55 -0500
Mario,
I really don't make much of a distinction between which of the CPUs are
involved in performing the function digitally. While it is true that the
general purpose processor has a different instruction set, it is still
involved in digital control of the radio functions - part of digital signal
processing. I recommend Doug Smith's book "Digital Signal Processing
Technology." Doug was the main designer of the Orion. In his book he covers
this by saying:

"In general, modern DSP systems characterize and modify analog signals,
producing other analog signals as their outputs. Note that this is not
always the case, though; the output of a DSP circuit might just as well be
the opening of a squelch gate or the triggering of a VOX."

Merle - W0EWM