Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:28:36 -0400

From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>

... BTW,
I am very acquainted with computer glitches. I've worked in an IT
department for the past 27 years! I've supported every version of dos, OS2
and Windows. The Orion made me feel like I was still at work...

That's a good way to put it.

I've had a similar reaction, but I kept my Orion. Maybe I am a masochist, or maybe I enjoy the challenge of a great radio with an almost great control system. Yes, it's a busman's holiday for some of us.

The Orion seems to be a lifestyle as much as a product. The lifestyle includes the fellowship (using the word loosely) of this reflector, and even some off-the-wall on-line reviews. And it includes the great on-air signal reports and the general mystique of the product.

Looking back, I think the "authoritative" reviews (like QST's) dropped the ball. They emphasize the RF side, which they are most familiar with. But they generally talked about the firmware only in terms of the novel field update procedure, without enough skepticism about the stability of the software that requires so many updates.

73, Martin