Re: [TenTec] Orion Sweep - Mark

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Sweep - Mark
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:57:26 +0000
Hi Mark: As best I can tell by looking the sweep is in 250 Hz segments with
bandwidth cranked down to 100 Hz. . That is, on the narrowest sweep range  of
4.5 kHz there are just over two "digital blocks" per 600 Hz indication.
Skipping the 9 kHz sweep width to the 18 kHz width, there seem to be 10 digital
segments per 2.5 kHz segment with the 100 Hz bandwidth.

I prefer the 36 kHz sweep width myself since the stations I'm usually
interested in tend to hang around fairly narrowly defined band segments. And
yes with a little practice you can usually tell by the bandwidth what sort of
signal you have indicated on the sweep.

At the moment an SSB signal at 14.197 is clearly just over 2500 Hz (a half a 5
kHz division on the sweep) wide, while a 75 M AM signal looks like it's close
to 8 kHz overall. The digital modes are usually two to three segments wide.
CLEAN slow CW shows up as a narrow spike a single segment wide, CLEAN faster CW
is somewhat wider - and some of the click boxes are three or four segments
wide.

Hope that helps

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
--