[TenTec] Re: Question for Contesters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Question for Contesters
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:53:27 -0500
NJ0IP wrote:

> What are the advantages of an SDR radio over traditional radios
> for contesters?

I think Tom, W7QF, made some excellent observations with respect to "contest
performance" of the Orion. I think there are a couple of other comments that
may be of use.

I think a useful way to think about "software defined" is through using the
words "function performed in mathematics in a computer rather then with
diodes, resistors, capacitors, inductors,  transistors, etc"

I think Sinisa (YT1NT, VA3TTN) and Mario (S56A, N1YU) are wrong on this one.
Its important to realize that much more then a few filters are "emulated in
software." Much of the modulation/demodulation, noise reduction (Including
manual and automatic notch filtering), AGC, first stage mixing, transmit
audio compression, CW wave shaping, frequency synthesis, transmit and
receive audio equalization and many other functions are performed in the
receiver processors. Mathematical calculations replace diodes, transistors,
inductors, etc. and produce a predictable and stable performance without
worry of component value change (From age or temperature or other external
factors). While "software bugs" are irritating, the ability to correct
problems through changed mathematics or changed system dynamics offers both
the potential of rapid problem resolution as well as continued upgrading of
the overall capabilities of the transceiver. I think Mario has way too
heavily discounted the power of the mathematical implementation on many
transceiver functions in his comment that "Real gains with digital HF radios
will be achieved soon after the availability of 16 bit A/D running up to 30
MHz " Much of the performance  and functional gain can be achieved in the
current Orion and ICOM 7800. And independent tests indicate that the Orion
has achieved significant improvements in functionality and performance.

I don't know the context of Scott's comments on "Software defined radio" and
the Orion. However, I think that most people, including Scott, would agree
that many - probably a majority - of the transceiver functions are performed
in mathematics in the Orion. I think that clearly includes it in the
category of "current generation software defined radios."

Merle Bone
W0EWM