[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec516] K2 / TT 516

To: tentec@contesting.com, Ten-Tec516@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec516] K2 / TT 516
From: James E McClellan <n8luv_jm@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:39:06 -0400
Good Morning Everyone,

This is in response to the letter sent about the K2 vs the Argo-516. I
also have heard much about the K2 and wished the price was less so I
could get my hands dirty with the rig. But, funds not being there I opted
for the TenTec Argonaut-5. I was blown away by the ease of menus and its
user friendly atmosphere (after playing around with a FT-100D and other
menu rigs). I have owned in the past Collins 75S1, FT-767, Paragon-II,
Drake R4-B, and smaller receiving sets. I presently own a Paragon (which
I would not not trade for love or money)! Comparing the receiver of the
TT516 to all the other rigs of past and present, I have to say the TT516
has the most sensitive receiver I have owned. There is one birdy (small
on 10mtrs - barely noticeble). The DSP is nothing short of fantastic with
sharp cut-offs as you go through the selection of selectivity choices. I
have owned it now for about 9 months and have found I now choose it as my
"MAIN" station over any others including those with amplifiers. It is now
the only rig I use on Digital. I have worked every continent and over 126
countries on 20 - 10 digital using PSK-31, RTTY, CW, HF-PKT, and also
SSTV including the new Digital SSTV mode. It is simple to hook up and a
real pleasure to use. My unit does have the TXCO in it but really not
sure if it was needed. My unit is the original model with the 2-slide on
fans. Fans are quiet and I have to get my ear near them to make sure they
are still working. I use the TT 937 PS and it runs cool as a cucumber. I
have even used it many times on AM transmit (5-watts) and all tell me
they cannot beleive the AM quality from it. This is from the AM boys on
the E. Coast who fool around with Studio or Broadcast AM modulation! ---
Well, I just couldn't resist adding my 2 cents for all the pluses I have
seen for this lil wonder by TenTec! And I guess the only thing left to
say is that here on the TT thread you mostly read the "bad" about rigs. I
went back to the archives of over a year and found one minor bad comment
(fan noise for newer units). THIS IN ITSELF HAS TO SAY SOMETHING! Glad I
purchased this instaed of the more costly (and in a kit) K2 with slow
delivery on promises!

A Proud 516 owner --- Thanks TenTec!
N8LUV --- Jim

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:48:25 -0000 "blacklabpupp" <blacklabpupp@aol.com>