[TenTec] AM operation (Jupiter 538)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AM operation (Jupiter 538)
From: "W1GOR" <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:39:41 -0000
Jason N1SU,

The following information was copied from the RF Squared web site...

This procedure does work..!

73, Larry - W1GOR

Setting up AM transmit

        AM transmit capability has been added to the Jupiter and
        Pegasus transceivers. The transceiver must be adjusted
        before using AM transmit to set the carrier level. The
        carrier level should be adjusted to  25 Watts or less.
        The basic steps are similar on the Jupiter and Pegasus
        transceivers. In addition, the Jupiter has an additional
        auto-set mode. The microphone gain should be adjusted in
        SSB mode to prevent over modulation while in AM mode. If
        you are already using the transceiver in SSB then the setting
        should be fine. Presently AM Transmit Bandwidth is not adjustable.

JUPITER 538

        On the Jupiter, two controls operate differently while in AM mode.
        The PWR setting control changes to become AM DRIVE control. This
        control is used to adjust the carrier level. The TUNE button
        activates a function called AM-AUTO-SET. When TUNE is pressed the
        transceiver will turn on the transmitter and adjust the AM-DRIV
        control for a nominal 25 Watt carrier. It takes the transceiver
        several seconds to perform this operation. When the process is
        complete the transceiver will return to receive. It is important
        to know that during this process the output from the transceiver
        will be a full 100 Watts. A dummy load should be used and any
        amplifiers in line should be switched to bypass. After the AM-AUTO-SET
        the AM DRIVE control can be used to adjust the output if needed.
        The PWR setting is not accessible in AM mode as AM DRIVE is used to
        adjust the power output.