Re: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 14, Issue 68 - Sensitivity Issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 14, Issue 68 - Sensitivity Issues
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:58:59 EST
In a message dated 2/25/04 11:51:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
w1ael@mindspring.com writes:

ââBut take that receiver to the ocean front, put directional antennas on
it, use specialized receiving antennas and you will find that you NEED
gain on low bands. Or beaming with good directional antenna north, away
from the equatorial noise and try to dig those 10 W JA novices. You can
use every uV you can scrambleâ.â

ââyou NEED gain on low bandsâ.â    Let us not confuse GAIN with
sensitivity!

OK, wanna be precise, please replace "gain" with "sensitivity", that's what I
meant.

>>Yuri, the sensitivity test I suggest remains a valid one for your DX
venue!<<
Nothing wrong with the test. The point is, if the radio is aimed at
competitive hams, then it better have room and features to accomodate their
needs
inlcuding sensitivity on all and low bands.

>>Perform it in that environment, under those conditions, and you might
find that you can use greater sensitivity.   The âantenna on/off testâ
pertains directly to the environment of the receiving site.  The
overwhelming majority of urban, suburban, and most rural amateurs all
over the planet do not have anything like the quiet situation you
describe!<<

On the contrary. Pennants and flags and small lopps and slinky beverages are
spreading like a wildfire, more people are coming to low bands and using
specialized RX antennas with low gain, low signals but some directional
properties.
Putting crummy preamps to compensate for the lack of sensitivity defeats the
glorious ability of modern radios.

>>Performing the sensitivity test I suggest really DOES YIELD VALID
RESULTS FOR A RECEIVER AND ANTENNA SYSTEM IN ITS ENVIRONMENT.  To the
extent that location, frequency, and antenna may mitigate atmospheric
noise, a system that has maximum useable sensitivity for the vast
majority of radio amateurs might be found wanting in a very rare
situation.  Please accept my apology for not making that clearer.   The
relatively noise-free situation you postulate is an âimaginary realityâ
for most designers and contest operators alike.<<

Here we go again "we know better" syndrome. I rest my case.
That IC78000 is looking better and better.

73 Yuri